Wednesday, August 22, 2012

1 cup flour, 3/4 birthday

Today is my three-quarters birthday.  Unlike it's close relative, the half-birthday, this day doesn't get nearly as much recognition, when it definitely deserves some attention.  Being the advocate for imaginary holidays that I am, I thought I'd celebrate this fraction of a milestone, with a little impromptu baking.  

From my last trip to the Farmer's Market, I've been saving some fresh rosemary for my Olive Oil Rosemary Cake.  The last time I made this, it was delicious (if you know me, or just want cake, I'd be happy to bake some for you).  Since this is spontaneous baking, I thought I'd get a little savvy and turn it into Olive Oil Rosemary Zucchini Cake.  Baking on the edge.  I was so pleased with myself, that I grabbed my cute, little vintage apron, put my hair in a bun, and then was halted to find that there was no flour left. 

Empty.

Okay, not quite.  There was one cup.  Recipe called for three. 

I was determined to go through with it anyways (I even googled 1 cup flour recipes.  There are none), I thought, 'I'll just cut the recipe in half, or thirds...okay, so 1 cup flour to 1/4 sugar, to .5865 tsp baking soda, to 13/9 tsp salt..." 

I took a step back, and put down the spatula.  Even if my cake did come out okay, I wouldn't have been satisfied, because I knew it could have been great.  And I wasn't about to settle for 'less-than' cake.  


Frailty, thy name is flour.

Isn't this how life goes?  It seems to be for me lately.  But, I don't see this as a roadblock, rather a delay. 

I won't get to eat my bon-appetit approved pastry this afternoon, but tomorrow instead.

(Once I get all my ingredients).


.:Anais:.











No comments:

Post a Comment